Monday, July 16, 2007

Trail Magic

I had always heard through-hikers speak of trail magic when hiking long distance on PCT, AT, even the MST. I am happy to report that it can happen on even shorter trails.

A month ago, Janila, Cylconic, Pink Panther and I tackled a few miles while finding letterboxes on a series of trails south of Ithaca. The letterboxes were a great group of called the Twelve Moons of Shindagin Hollow. It was a good hike and I took my Bob Weber hand carved hiking stick I had purchased at the Camal general store in Pine Creek Valley. I usually do not carry a stick but I didn't know what I was getting into. About two miles into the hike I told Cyclonic, "I am going to forget this."

Say it and it is so. Just finishing the last mile and 2 boxes, I turned to Janila and said, "I left my stick at one of the boxes." She was aghast and said, "We will go back!" I felt my feet throbbing and said, "We will not." I intended to contact the owner of the boxes and let her know I had lost it. By the time I remembered to do so, 2 other letterboxers had completed the same hike. I wrote to them with no luck. Something either Angsaidso or Cars replied to me convinced me that it was long gone. They mentioned how many mountain bikers were in the area. I was certain my stick had found a new home and wished it well.

While chatting online with Cyclonic this afternoon, he mentioned that the Bibliochicks had just contacted him about a stick they found while hiking Shindagin Hollow. They had contacted Angsaidso and Cars who said another boxer was looking for a hand carved stick they had lost!! One thing lead to another and, my stick seems to be in the hands of the wonderful Bibliochicks. It looks like I will be reunited with my stick in September at the Knoebel's gathering. Bless the Bibliochicks and good trail magic!

3 comments:

  1. Yup, those two girls are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!

    Karma, I tell you, Karma.

    Thanks for hiking with us that day! We had a most enjoyable time.

    PP

    ReplyDelete