Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Circus is Coming!


maybe....

An idea about a national letterboxing convention is being thrown around by a few people. When I first heard about it I though that it was a bunch people who had big ideas and liked to talk a lot. I didn't give it much notice because it was nothing I was interested in, at all. Then someone pointed out that a prospective location for this event was central Pennsylvania. Then I read about it and thought that there was no way this area could work out for them. If anyone decided that it was a good idea however, there would be serious implications on letterboxing here.

I posted my concerns with the hypothetical location choice and if you wish to read my thoughts you may choose this link. I do not ask for everyone, nor anyone for that matter, to agree with me. I just wanted the planners to see the implications of being responsible for the impact such an endeavor might have on the area they choose.

The originator of the idea had asked for feedback but his girlfriend seemed to easily take offense, calling my response huffy. I suppose that is subjective but the analogy of implying I was trying to "rain on our parade" was a poor one in spite of another poster's claim that it was "well said".

Let's look at how "well said" that analogy was. If their prospective event is likened to a parade, my raining on it implies that I would be doing it harm. In the dictionary to "rain on someone's parade" is defined as to prevent someone from enjoying an occasion or event, to spoil someone's plans. I guess that leaves me to wonder how my choice to not participate in the prospective event would spoil it. Maybe I am so important or integral to the success of their plans if the parade were to march through central PA that my non-participation would ruin everyone's time. Maybe our letterboxes are so looked forward to and sought after that having them unavailable during the month of the parade coming into the area that it would lessen the enjoyment for everyone. I seriously doubt that with all of the jugglers of Lock n Locks and acrobats of exchanges that lack of the Crayola Posse's presence or our letterboxes in the field would be missed at all.

My choosing to pull our letterboxing is not "raining" on the parade, it is choosing not to blow any sunshine up it's skirt. I do not care if the decision is made to make it just a meet and greet or all out letterboxing circus. Letterboxers would be seeking a few boxes while they are in any prospective area. My letterboxes are not planted in a way that over 10 people in any given week/month can seek them without some damage being done. Believe it or not, less than 10 a month is how little traffic our boxes currently they get. If things would change under normal non-circus-like circumstances, I would be pulling them then too. This is not to rain on anyone's parade. "Raining" would be threatening to undermine the enjoyment or success of the parade. Nowhere did I threaten to confiscate or damage any event boxes if the parade marches through central PA. I would be gathering up my own boxes (not just pulling our clues), and getting out of the area until it's over. I have at least a year to make it clearly stated in our clues so that the boxes will be pulled so that only the people foolish enough to not update their clues within the year will be tromping through any area. I am planning accordingly. How does this threaten rain for your parade?

I understand the location for the parade has not yet been determined. My information was intended to give you an umbrella from any rain that might come your way. There are going to be folks in any location that will have difficulties with a circus coming to their town. When an area is thrown out as a hypothetical location, realize there are real people living there whom it will really impact.

If you read my post with care, you will see that my concern is that if said parade chooses to march through this area, I am concerned about it's impact. I wanted to bring it to any planner's attention that it might be in their best interest to have people in residence who, after the last dancing bear has lumbered out of town, does not mind playing the role of the clown with the broom. I don't want to be the one left sweeping up other people's peanut shells and confetti from the streets and forests of central PA while a bunch of out-of-towners agree what a great parade it was.

"Don't rain on our parade" you say?
"Well said :):):)" you say?
I think not.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, you're right. You're right on the AQ boards and on this blog. Thanks for being a voice of reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know.....I think you are a really cute little black rain cloud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have our support!

    LB and TMS

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole convention idea is just about the stupidest, most ill conceived ideas imaginable. What are this people smokin'? Some of these people over on the Prattle Quest boreds need to rethink what they are contemplating.

    And Jan, do you really want 200 to 300 boxers tromping around the same stretch of woods? I think the whole social trail, leave no trace stuff is a bunch of BS when it comes to boxes that usually only see one or two people a month, but this gives it a whole new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you. The planners can pick another spot. How about their backyard. The whole idea has trouble written all over it. I love Central PA too but too many people spoil the fun. Just spend a holiday weekend on the rail trail or water in the Pine Creek area...there is no peaceful, serene wilderness just craziness.

    ReplyDelete