Sunday, January 27, 2008

Neato!

What could be better than an awesome veggie burrito? Eating it with a bunch of letterboxers and getting a stamp for it! A few little obstacles jumped in the way of our making it to New Cumberland but we dodged them left and right. Snowfall that was not scheduled to arrive until much later in the evening made an appearance and asked to be noticed about the time we went out the door. RGBisMe and I could not be deterred. We had to pick up Maga11 and DaBraLady and we had to finally get a wedding gift into the hands of Archaeobirder and LitChcik.
We got on the road after picking up the ladies and the snow cleared up in time for us to get a good look at an eagle's nest along the Juniata River. No one was home as far as we could see but it was obviously a nest of a few years in the making. It was so big!

We made a stop in Dauphin to find 4Rhine's Torchlight letterbox. After choosing the wrong road to explore we reoriented and set out on foot to find this little gem. It was cold but no new snow was on the ground so the four of us had no problem walking the letterbox back to stamp up in the warm car. It was so much fun to sit and chat about letterboxing with Maga11 and DaBraLady. We know that they usually think we are crazy for the amount of time and effort we put into this hobby so having them along for the hunt was very special for us.

The next stop was Cucumber Land. RGBisMe and I had put this letterbox out a few weeks prior to the event but Maga11 and DaBraLady wanted a chance to find it. It was so much fun to watch them out on one of their first hunts without us seeking with them. As we got closer to the box, we ran into the 4Rhines! Hugs and handshakes were shared and RGBisMe and I stood and chatted with them as Maga11 and DaBraLady continued on to the box. We told Fiona how much we had enjoyed finding Torchlight and that it was in very good shape.

As we caught up with the 4Rhines, we realized that we could see Maga11 and DaBraLady had veered off course from where we had hidden the box. It hadn't been so very long but Stonefly asked me a good question, "How long do you let someone look in the wrong place?" We started to discuss this and I decided that it was only cruel to let them stumble in the cold. I took a step to tell them to walk a bit more to their left when I saw that they had found it. Excellent! Nothing feels better than a success without someone hand holding you to the letterbox. They did just fine and didn't wander around anymore than we would have if we hadn't know exactly where it was.

Off to Neato Burrito where I ate half of a wonderful black bean burrito with salsa verde. We took the no utensils challenge but shocked the restaurant staff when we sent back the plastic fork and knife they served with our burritos. What was the good of giving us forks and knives that we would just throw in the garbage unused?! We saved wasting them on us; we don't need no stinkin' utensils!

The next few hours were spent in a blur. We gave Archaeobirder his belated wedding gift and many people kept thinking that it was some type of special letterbox. I was happy to get to meet Catlady8 and the Big Bad Wolfes but I never got to visit with many other friends. I had made it a point to watch "O Brother Where art Thou" the night before just to sit and discuss it with Indigo Vulture but all I managed to do was wish him a safe trip home. I spent about the same amount of time chatting with Pink Panther and Lotus, and even less with others. There just is never enough time.

Through all of this I never even sat with Maga11 nor DaBralady. It was near the end of the afternoon I checked in with DaBraLady whose eyes had glazed over a bit. Oh my, to be a new comer at a letterboxing get together is even more overwhelming and I had forgotten. We said our good byes and shared stories on the way home in the car. Having not spent much time together at the restaurant allowed us totally different interactions. It was fun hearing what each other had experienced during our time but feet from each other.

Thank you Hunter Jumper and PA Paddler for coordinating this mini meet and the wonderful event stamps. An indoor get together is just what was called for in central PA at this time of year. Burritos and Other Delights can be viewed at this link. Please add to this album if you took any at the Neato Burrito mini meet or on your trip to it.

3 comments:

  1. You watched O Brother? Fantastic!

    Do...not...seek...the...treasure...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my yoga class reminded me of the the sirens in that movie. I was glad it was an all girls class. I liked that movie.
    Schizokeet

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, we just tried to sell that "Whipped cream and other delights" album at our recent yard sale! No one would buy it so we donated it (and lots of other stuff) to the local Salvation Army! How crazy!

    ReplyDelete