Friday, June 13, 2008

Our Gypsy Pilgrimage

Ravenboy was cast as lead Gypsy in the ballet Don Quixote. This is another brief and dynamic dance in the middle of a long classical ballet. It is one of the many roles he has always dreamed of performing so we wanted to be there to cheer him on.

We left in plenty of time to enjoy the sunny day outside of the Metropolitan Opera House. Maga11 had broken her ankle so we stayed pretty close to Lincoln Center the whole time. We were able to check on our 2 NYC letterboxes. We replaced our one in Central Park and looked through the log book of the one near Lincoln Center. Maga11 was really happy to stamp her and Toolman Luke into Peter the Fisherman.

We caught a cab up to Harry's Burritos to sit and waste some time.RGBisMe and I and enjoyed a couple of nice big bowls of chilled Gazpacho while my parents ordered big burrito type things with meat in them - ha! The iced tea there is always fresh and the house margaritas always tasty but they ran out of Dos Equis Amber on tap so Toolman Luke had to settle for a bottle.

I know I have written about Harry's Burritos before. This place is a little bit of a hole in the wall but has an awesome Mexican menu. The interior of the location on Columbus Ave. is filled with kitschy artwork and groovy lights. One of the high point of visiting Harry's is to pay homage to the bizarre lenticular photo of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. Deano is riding (what?) right behind Jerry and holds a rising crop in case things get out of hand. You try looking at that picture after a house margarita and keeping a straight face. Maga11 was a real sport and got our photo in front of it. I know you can hardly see it but it is weird!!


We caught another cab back to Lincoln Center (broken ankle remember) and got ourselves all prettied up for the performance. It really was a lovely evening for a ballet. I wrote the following review for a ballet discussion board:

Although I was unable to attend the matinee performance, I was very happy to have seen Wednesday evening's cast. It is never a happy moment when casting changes but I can say I was thrilled with the performances of both Ananiashvili and Pavam last evening.

It was understandable how Ananiashvili's Kitri fools Krauchenka's Don Q into thinking she is his lovely Dulcinea; she won me over completely. Carreño was a wonderful sight to behold, as always. His Basilio was all one could ever hope for up until his final variation which left me a little flat.

Carreño and Ananiashvili were well matched. The joyous playfulness they projected combined with their rock solid technique made them a most enjoyable couple. Their trust in each other as partners blossomed into breath taking moments by the final curtain. The audience responded to them in what I found to be surprisingly more lively than typical mid-week politeness.

Flower Girls Copeland and Pavam were a highlight as was Scott's debut as lead Gypsy. With a nod to Cornejo's costuming, Scott sported the open fronted shirt and was on his leg for solid turns.

The pinnacle of the evening was Lane's Amour. Her sprightly and gay performance had me beaming and feeling blessed to be able to be in the audience. It is rare when we can afford the trip from central PA to see ABT at the Met; that evening's Don Q was like a gift to us.

2 comments:

  1. I hope maga's ankle heals up soon.

    Lincoln center is pretty cool - I remember seeing Ravi Shankar practice with the NY Philharmonic on a school trip back around 1980 or so. He was jammin'!

    I remember also seeing the NYC ballet perform somewhere downtown in 1986. I am not sure if it was there, however. D'oH!

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just added the video 6/18 thanks to Luis for recording it. Just to clarify one moment at the very end. The conductor is supposed to end with the dancer, not the other way around. David Lamarche needs to get Tivo if he doesn't want to miss his favorite show, not rush the orchestra through each piece and end too early.

    ReplyDelete