
I am no longer excited to be getting applicants for the apartment and have even less enthusiasm to reply to phone numbers in Korea or people who cannot compose a business oriented email with any decorum.
I will keep adding to these gems.
sample emails so far...
Hi I a intersted inthe eff. apartment tat you have listed o Craigs
List. Plese ma I see it and file the application process? Not able
to move in until 11/09. Thanks
hiiiiiii
I'm interest in your apartment please send me your phone number or call me at 814 XXX XXXX
thank you
hi i like to take a look at the efficiency you have listed i work quit a bit however ido have tomorrow off so do u can u please call me 717-XXX-XXXX my name is xxxx if tomorrow don't work for you than maybe we can set up something later ill hope to hear from you .(Yes, the above name was lower case.)
hello. i am going to be a student at psu for the 2010-11 school year. i am looking for a place to rent. i am interested in renting your place. please contact me by email or cell(Yes, the above names were also in lower case.)
717-XXX-XXXX. my name is xxxxxx. thank you
Where is this apartment located?(There is a google maps link to the street on the ad.)
Hello,
is your proposition still valid?
If yes, please leave your coordinates, we can meet tommorrow evening. I am seriously would like to take this apt.
hi my name is xxxxx xxxxxxx and iam lookin for a place i can afford iam kinda homeless right now so iam lookin for a place asap my number is 000- 0000
I called another man and his response to me was, "Is this your number?" I replied that I had not given him my number. Another woman I called agreed to a specific time to view the apartment because, "I have practice before that." She said she would call me before she came. I hadn't given her my number either.
Another converstion on the phone starts with one fellow asking me, "So tell me something that isn't in the ad."
I hesitated and asked, "What do you want to know?"
He chirped, "I see I caught you off guard. How about the dimensions of the rooms?"
"The dimensions of the rooms as well as photos are in the ad. I am at a loss to tell you anything more because I thought the ad was pretty comprehensive."
He looked at the ad, verified the room dimensions and then went on to ask more questions that were already in the ad as he was looking at it.
I know not everyone has the ad in front of them and that people can view and record the phone number I am calling from but I feel like a lot of presumptions are being made. Business etiquette has gone out the window with a lot of other manners. I guess I am not looking forward to this process at all.
You are correct. Business ettiquette has gone out the window as has business ethics, Spell Check and common sense.
ReplyDeleteI'm actually teaching business writing this semester, and you'd be surprised at the number of things students have to be told. That is particularly true for emails, where their assumption is that there is no need for formalities of any type.
ReplyDeleteI can't bring myself to respond to some of these! I don't want to live in the same building with someone who want to present themselves that way. I might as well go back to the CDT and get inmates calling again.
ReplyDelete