Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Reception

No garters thrown, one random nosegay toss and a cake with a Steampunk flare made this reception a unique and memorable one.

Held in the upstairs dining area of The Waterfront Tavern along the choppy wind blown waters of Lewistown's Juniata River, guests arrived at 1PM. Light appetizers were the menu with the thought that the day after Thanksgiving might be best suited to nibbling rather than a sit down meal served in a static fashion.

I owe my dear sis'er, Tracdc, and her hubzband, Satan, a huge debt of gratitude for putting some final beautiful touches on the day. Tracdc did all of the amazing silk floral decorations, including the ones on the two tiered dark chocolate fondant cake. Satan took photos of every moment and captured the day in images. Thanks to them I can know look back and see moments of the day I missed.

The upper floor of The Waterfront Tavern was just the right size for our party. They said it was suitable for 45 but the 30 folks that came made it just right. I think 45 would have been too many. We broke apart the banquet type seating into groups of tables. This made it much more inviting to move around some.

It was great to see everyone come and share their love with the newly weds. There were people we hadn't seen in years and we all got along fine. The couple of hours of visiting and nibbling with a cd of a piano jazz trio led up to the toast and cake cutting. We then switched to a digitally remastered cd of an old family favorite winter holiday album of music.

The cake was made by Nicole who works out of the Original Italian Pizza in downtown Lewistown. The chocolate fondant hid layers of vanilla cake and butter cream frosting that were flavored and textured just right. Not too sweet nor too rich, one big slice of this cake went down very nicely even the day after Thanksgiving.

The couple did NOT smash cake into each others' faces, it had been agreed in advance. It did keep the groom from wiping a delicate little smudge of frosting onto his wife's nose. The effect was absolutely charming. I didn't get to see the cake sharing but these photos from Satan and Toolman Luke let me enjoy what I missed from across the room.

Important people that made this event possible include Maga11 and Toolman Luke. The provided emotional, physical and financial support. Their last duties included picking up the cake and driving the newly weds to the reception. This allowed me to focus on setting up and final coordinating with the folks at the Waterfront. Thank you for being more than just happy grandparents on the exciting day.

A shout out of love goes to my hubby RGBisMe for petting my back and listening to me every time I irrationally started to worry about things that were out of my control during the weeks leading up to the big date(s). Standing by my side, we were able to create a perfect little party to the two most important people in our lives.

Ravenboy & Asrai were great sports, graciously social and glowing with real happiness all week during our time with them. I miss them both very much and wish them some peace now that the big day is over. I can't wait until we see them over the winter holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment