Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thoughts from the Road - #31711

My runs have been going well. The temperatures are moderating and I only have a couple of weeks until my race in Harrisburg. I logged a 12 miler earlier this week, I ran out to Waddle on the old rail trail. I am loving my new jacket, it is perfect for brisk temperatures when I warm up quickly. The pockets are deep and zip closed so I don't lose anything.


I did lose my water bottle on that long run but it was not in my pocket. I had Jim leave it for me at the 4 mile point. I was glad to see it sitting there undisturbed with a note on it alerting anyone who might see it that it is not trash. The note also states that it is cached on that spot for a distance runner and that it will be removed by the date I write onto it. I drank about half of the contents from the bottle over a couple of miles and sat it on a level fence rail on the trail so I could rehydrate on my return trip. I am glad the temperatures were cool because upon my return the bottle was gone! I ran back and forth a few times looking for it everywhere I imagined it could be but it was not to be found.


Lately on some of my shorter runs I have mixed it up a little by looking for geocaches without carrying a gps. I have found them about 50% of the time because I can't stand around too long without getting cold.

Yesterday was a lot of fun. I ran down to Benner Springs and back. At the bottom parking area they have replaced the old bridge with a nice wooden one. On the way back up I felt my way to where there is another geocache in the old Benner Cemetery. I didn't find the cache yet but the cemetery is worth many a return trip. This is the best thing about geocaching, finding new and amazing things right in your own backyard.

My final geocache attempt yesterday was successful but also reminded me why it can be ungratifying. The only thing in the container was a flier for civil war reenacting. No logbook, no writing tool and no trade items. The last person may have found it empty all together since they were signed in on the flier. So odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment