Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Starstruck @ Starbucks



It's been requested that I tell a part of my trip to the city which I had hoped to avoid.



Between the two performance we saw, we were happy to take Ravenboy out for a bite to eat. He had to hurry back to the theater long before we could even get into the lobby so we were left with almost 2 hours of trying to find things to do with ourselves. We did a little sight seeing and shopping and eventually found ourselves in a Starbucks near the theater.



Many of the dancers were stopping in to grab a coffee and dart back to the theater before it got too late. RGBisMe kept naming them as they came in and eventually notices one of American Ballet Theatre's biggest stars coming down the street. "Here comes Angel Corella. He is coming in for coffee."



I have been watching performances of Angel Corella on video and on stage for almost 10 years. Young Ravenboy would watch him on tv and then try to imitate exactly the huge leaps and multiple turns this exciting dancer performed. He was Ravenboy's idol and now they are in the same company. Ravenboy also says he is a nice guy. I do not work with him, so to me he is a huge star and I am star struck if he ever walks by.



Mr. Corella walked in the door of Starbucks and I couldn't help but smile at him. He returned my smile. We explained to MagaB who he was and it seemed to take them forever to give him his coffee so I absolutely had to sneak another look at this handsome and talented young man. So do I just look at him? No, I hide my face against RGBisMe and peak at him with one eye... and the man SAW ME. I was so embarrassed. I couldn't even look up as he left but looked across to Maga11 who was beaming and waving good bye to him. I was just glad that he didn't know we are Ravenboy's family.





Prior to In the Upper Room in the final performance. Mr. Corella performed in the Le Corsaire pas de deux. The audience cheered madly for him and his partner. They really are crowd pleasers and brought the house down as well as warming them up for In the Upper Room. My throat was sore from cheering by the end of the night.



We waited outside after the final show to give Ravenboy a ride back to his apartment. I looked around the corner to see if he was coming and saw him about half a block away walking with a handsome, young spanish dancer. "NO!" I freaked out! Angel could NOT know I was Ravenboy's mother, I would run and hide. As the family all went to greet Ravenboy, congratulate and hug him, I saw that he had been walking with another dancer from the company. It was his good friend Luis. I had made a jerk of myself yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment