We knew the weather might have an impact even last evening as we shopped for a few groceries. No, we didn't stock up on bread and milk but bought a single TastyKake Pumpkin Pie to split today with what ever meal we pulled together.
We didn't have the scent of hot turkey fat to wake up to like I can remember 40 years ago. As Jim decorated our indoor Norfolk Island Pines, thus dubbing them our our Yule Trees for the year, I threw together a lunch of left overs.
Left over Tofurky sandwich slices on some seeded rye with a healthy pile of mixed greens, a few wedges of tomato, a dollop of spiced butternut squash, perfect avocado slices and the condiments of Vegenaise® and a cranberry apple chutney made the most perfect Thanksgiving meal.
No, I fibbed. What made it perfect was the company. We weren't surrounded by every member of our loving family but Jim and I had each other. We munched a Dagwood sized sandwich and smiled as we did the best we could to make the holiday feel festive. I am thankful for Jim's heart that lifts me on the gray and gloomy days. Redefining each stage of life is a challenge but with him I am up to it.
This is a similar sandwich, the real one disappeared before I got it photographed.
No comments:
Post a Comment