Wednesday, October 3, 2007

99 Bottles Tour, Taco Mac



We were late but we were much more fresh than if we hadn't stopped at the MK homestead. We also felt a little sad leaving the Barghest behind but we had no choice. Even showing up an hour late, the other event attendees had not yet gotten their entrees. I am sure we missed a round of beers and maybe some bloomin' onion but my ever expanding thighs didn't need that anyway.

I had done some research about Taco Mac online and until very recently the only thing they had for vegetarians were a side salad and maybe french fries. We couldn't even have the grilled cheese on the kiddy menu because it clearly stated it was for children 12 and under only. I wrote to the corporate headquarters asking for some suggestions on what entrees vegetarians might be able to take advantage of. The fellow that wrote back to me, within the day, was pleased to share that they had just expanded their menu . Although it wasn't on their online menu there were some very tasty veggie entrees. I can't remember what all they had but there were some nice selections. We both opted for the vegetarian burrito.

The party was underway and everyone was quite happily seated at the two outdoor tables they had secured in the mellow evening. Then came the part that made my evening... I was CARDED! I later found out everyone has to be carded, unlike in PA where you only have to look like you are over, um, 29. Regardless, our waiter was guaranteed a substantial tip.

I sat by the charming Artemis who told me about her travels across the country to different letterboxing meccas. She was a wonderfully caring conversationalist but it was at this point in the evening, I am afraid, I went from being antisocial to obnoxious. I neglected to ask little if anything about the people I was sitting near and laughed loudly at my own jokes. I started channeling demons, being rude to underaged peoples at the party, even after they generously brought me a drink.If there are rumors of my behavior at this party, it is all true. Things that normally just stay in my head as thoughts came pouring out of my mouth. The only time I regained my decorum was for when some boxers asked me for my Of Things Arcane personal traveler. I read the cards truly as they fell and was honest and pure of heart with intent. Leave it to tarot cards to sober me. I was glad to give Oread a second reading as it gave us a chance to chat a bit when we hadn't earlier.

The meal was good, the brews were very tasty and unique. It was a great place for a get together. Before we left for some night boxing (I know right?) RGBisMe and I were able to sneak away and get one of the coolest little boxes, Mooky's Beer Run. It had a lot of inspiring elements as do a lot of MookyDipper's letterboxes. We were pleased it came as our 400th find.


The night boxing we did wasn't quite like any we had ever done before. The theme of the stamps was for the 99 Bottles series so it wasn't a night theme, well I guess you drink beer at night so it kinda was. The plants weren't hidden in a way that they used reflective materials so I am thinking they will be regular boxes after they debuted. The clues weren't chosen as to what is easily seen at night, like lights that are only on at night or reflective devices. I guess it was more like regular letterboxing but at night. The planters of some other nearby letterboxes were along so they generously allowed us to slack box and stamp in.

It was a long day but the evening went on until the very last box was found at 1AM, near the courthouse, with police parked all around the other side of the building. We said our goodbyes to many of the folks we had met and most likely insulted over the course of the evening. I am afraid I didn't do our Central PA letterboxing reputation proud but I was glad to have met these hospitable and polite folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment