Thursday, September 24, 2009

Good, Fast, Cheap — Pick any Two


A sign similar to this used to hang in the lobby of Photographic Services on PSU campus where my father worked as senior photographer for years. I can remember reading the sign over and over and trying to imagine the combinations and how there might be an exception to any of them.

As a kid it was a fun little mental game. As an adult who provides worthwhile services it can be a frustrating reality. I want to hang the sign as a medallion around my neck, make it my signature line in my email, my call-tone on my cell phone or maybe I should get it as a tattoo.

When I read tarot cards it comes with a background of a quarter century of research on the tarot, symbology and believe it or not a soupçon of psychology to back up my intuition. So, even if I read cards in a bar it might be nice if I was at least treated to a soda. I gave something of quality (isn't that why they were raving about it to their friends who are now asking the same from me?) so I don't think its wrong to expect SOMETHING in return. There is no pick any 2 in that situation! I allow myself to be walked all over, it's my form of advertising.

When I have to put off everything I am doing to meet someone's tight deadline on a design they should be ready to understand that quality at top speed comes at a price. My years of training in art and design brought you to me and they want me to do it FAST! A camera ready piece whipped out within a couple hours means either lack of sleep or that I had to put off other jobs to get it to them in time for a deadline. They shouldn't blanch at the higher price, I had to jump through hoops with the same dexterity at an increased speed.

The one time I can let a piece of work go through that I do not consider "good" is when it is a quick mock up of something. Thank goodness the most recent one we sent out was clearly understood to be just that. The client was not 100% happy with the wording nor the design but understood that it was just to get the ball rolling to help clarify what direction would be best to design the final piece. What a breath of fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment