Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Lawn Faeries!

Over the past quarter of a century we have been blessed with many faeries and elves in our lives. This past year even more have been around. Maybe the addition of the fairy door made them feel more welcome.

For some unknown reason, at the last full moon all of our faerie folk departed. They left with no warning. Do faeries migrate or go on vacation? I expressed my concerns directly to the faerie realm and although one accompanied me on a trip to run some errands I received no clear answer.

The worst part of the realization was the void left because the lawn faeries had gone. Mowing the lawn was pure drudgery without them. Typically our yard is lively and quite pretty in a "I love every living thing" kind of way. After mowing the last time I looked back at the lawn and it looked lifeless and void of magic. Although tidy one day, it was ugly and littered with nastiness within just a couple of days. Leaves and acorns are fine and welcome but paper and doggy diarrhea are terrible things to pick up.

Today I set out to mow and was apprehensive. As always I tried to stay aware of the mushrooms and moths. I lifted fluttering moths out of the way and took them to places that had already been mowed. I waited patiently as crickets hopped frantically to safety. This takes extra time and I can sometime miss huge areas of grass to avoid hurting a critter.

As I neared the end of this job, I realized that although where I had mowed had been erratic, I had covered every inch and was not tired. I looked back at the spiraling patterns in the grass and, because it was peppered with leaf mulch, it painted a picture of the upcoming Autumn. I am so glad some faeries have returned. Life is glum without their magic.

1 comment:

  1. We NEED one of your doors. We haven't found a single one online that can rival it. Maybe we can barter a dinner for one or something?!

    ReplyDelete