The past couple of hikes I have taken on Nittany I had noticed some sprayed markings for "stations" on the mountain. They were all on trail and at trail junctures so I ruled out an orienteering course. I wrote to
Mount Nittany Conservancy asking what was being developed and I received a reply from Vince Verbeke,
We are adding 11 directional signs on the Mountain on both trails. Attached are 2 images that should help. The metal posts
will be enclosed in wood cladding when done as well to make them blend in more with the surroundings.
As part of this project we are also re-doing the trail map itself. We will be updating the website when we get the signs in this Fall.
Safety is a top priority for MNC. We do a lot of work to keep the trails safe. But we needed to do more, as the lost family last Fall indicated. Thus this new effort. The signs include GPS coordinates to help Emergency Personnel if needed to locate the individuals.
Hopefully these signs will "stay" on the Mountain. We've had directional signs before but they were removed by the eager youth of Happy Valley.
Have a great day. We are supposed to have wonderful fall colors this year. I can't wait to see the Mountain in all its glory this Fall.
I hope local individuals and groups that read my blog find this helpful. Please feel free to share the link to this post to spread the information.
No comments:
Post a Comment